Monday, February 18, 2008

The Day That The Lion Came Visiting

Every year, its sort of like a routine that our local Chinese school lion dancers would come to my outlet to "wong" (bring luck) my business for the year ahead. Its not like I am superstitious but its been a routine for me ever since the school approached me for donation by way of lion dancing a few years back.

For those that may not be sure what's the significance of the lion dance, here is a short introduction.

The lion is a sacred animal, not to be confused with the well known predator that stalks the savannas of Africa. Here we are talking of the imaginary, holy animal, that has its own place among the divine creatures. Of course the lion has a spot that is much lower than the gods, but nonetheless, it is a bringer of luck and good fortune.

Generally, the lion dance is used to bless. When performed well the lion dance chases away evil spirits, and so opens the door for all good things: health, happiness, wealth and prosperity.

So here came the lion dancers from the front door, peeled the 2 mandarin oranges that i placed underneath the ang pow and finally left my outlet with the traditional 3 bows.

Hope business will continue to do well for me this year......

2 comments:

haan said...

want "wong"?? subscribe to DiGi!!!! hahahaha

Chee Hoe said...

Hahaha. You sure know how to make me laugh early in the morning haan.

Too bad I am a maxis suporter :)