Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My thoughts on work.

I am actually an extremely lazy person by nature. When I tell people about this, many would laugh and not take me too seriously since they do see me as a workaholic at most times (I tend to take a hands-on approach on most of my work). The only reason why some people don't see this "lazy" nature of mine is the self motivation that I give myself to mask this endemic problem. I am a person that needs to be pushed when doing things so knowing that, I set targets. In whatever work that I do, I put forth a mental image of targets that needs to be achieved by a certain deadline. That creates a "rush" that keeps me on my toes most of the time.

Recently though, the "rush" seems somewhat diminished. A lot of the objectives I've set for the year is more or less ahead of schedule and I can now see myself slowing down. Although there is a big assignment coming up in the coming month, I've more or less completed all the paperwork for it. I now wonder if I should fast track some of the plans that I have for 2009 sooner rather then later.


The other day while chatting with a friend, I was told off saying that I try to do too many things on my own at work even though there are people there that could do it for me. He don't seem to agree on my hands-on approach to work.

I brushed him off with a laugh.

I know where he is coming from actually. One need to know how to delegate work in order to be successful. Nevertheless I believe in the saying, "the jack of all trades and the master of all". Experience have taught me to not depend solely on others. This way, no one can take you for a ride and it also tells your subordinates that they are not indispensable. That keeps the workforce on their toes and do actually promote productivity.

If your at the top then make sure you know everything there is in every department under your wing;- that's the way i deal with work.

5 comments:

haan said...

i agree that we should delegate, but do not agree on delegating everything, at least need some monitoring..

Chee Hoe said...

I delegate as well but I like to be involved when time permits.

So I am a manager, sales person, technician all in one :P

Nux V said...

taking over on everyting resulting in people being exhausted by the end of the day...
but anyway, i'd agree with superior knowing a lil' of what his people do...at least he could help if one day his people absence frm job ;-)

Dalicia said...

yes of course. however, when that person delegates. they get angry at you for not doing it their way. the person who is planning to delegate should be responsible too!

Chee Hoe said...

Thats why I like being hands on. Cause I will also understand the problems going through in each section.

In terms of method of execution, I think its subjective. I would not stop the person doing the way that he wants as long as it brings in the desired end result. On the other hand if his work is not up to mark, I could easily correct him. I don't think its right to let them do it our way. Its better to tell them whats our expectation and let them be creative enough to work their way through it. If they get stuck, then we show them our way. Sometimes they could surprise you with an even better idea then what you already have in mind.

Never shut out creativity.