Friday, June 27, 2008

Of Hugs and Smooches

It was my first few weeks in UK, 2am in the morning and it was time to head home after a night out with a group of friends. Suddenly a girl acquaintance griped my shoulders, pulled me in and gave me a kiss on the cheeks. That was my first time getting a peck on the cheek by someone that I hardly knew back when I was 19 yrs old. Later I realized that its common courtesy to hug and kiss (on the cheeks of course) in the west. I would not hesitate to give my female/male acquaintance a goodbye hug when I was staying in UK since it was an acceptable thing to do.

Back here though, if I would do that to just any female acquaintance, I bet I would have gotten plenty of stares (probably less now actually). A kiss on the cheeks would most definitely result in a kick on the groin or a tight slap (or both!). Hence, since coming back to Malaysia in 2004, I refrain from showing any form of public display of love and affection unless towards relatives or really close friends.

Sometimes I do wonder if hugs are over rated here in Malaysia. I do not really see much problem giving someone a goodnight hug as long as we don't cross the line. But then again what constitute not crossing the line? The Aye and Nae sayers can go on the whole night and not come up with a definitive answer to it.

Now my question to you.

"How far is your line and how thick are they?"

8 comments:

(T) (H) (B) said...

It depends on how many ang mohs is around u.. hahah

Nux V said...

yea...also depends on the people's perception...our people here are yet to have an open mind on these yet.

Chee Hoe said...

THB,
So the more ang mohs the further and thicker the line goes? haha

Nux,
Yup, we Malaysians are still pretty much a conservative bunch. Unless you are those artsy-fartsy socialite lah.

Pam Song said...

Hmmm. Tough.

I'm generally not a touchy feely person so I guess my lines are pretty thick with the opposite sex. And as for the kissing bit... I totally hate it. Dun come and touch my face. Haha. Paranoid.

Dalicia said...

i only do it with close friends.
not everyone....for smooches..i really hate that. u know ppl can be dirty

don't mind it if it's my lover...haahhaha

it depends on my situation with guys. if they seem like they want to take advantage of you. i'll say stop.

Chee Hoe said...

*tries to smooch pam's cheeks with ghee + curry laced lips*

hahaha

I don't mind hugs but i refrain from smooches here. Well, unless they give me a kiss on the cheeks first. In that case we have to kiss back lah.


Dalicia,
I think we can actually sense if the guy/girl is trying to take advantage of you during such situations. I am not a believer of "accidents".

Your either a bastard or your not. Not much grey area in this matter... haha

Anonymous said...

I will never lay my hands on someone... Unless he/she is so famous that I can sell their hair for 1mil on ebay.

Chee Hoe said...

3point8,
You go hug and I bring the scissors!