Monday, October 13, 2008

A Near Miss

Just came back from a weekend trip from KL.

Bloody tired as always.

However, it could have been worse. I was fortunate enough to escape a major car pile up accident on the way back.

It was raining pretty heavily the whole journey so I decided to drive at a much slower pace then my usual cruising speed.

The bus in front of me slowed down suddenly and I followed suite.

A few seconds later I realized there was a major accident up ahead and the bus stopped to avoid hitting the already damaged car up ahead. Then I heard some major emergency brake action behind me and cars honking frantically. At that point, I had virtually stopped my car leaving about half a car length between the bus and me. I was prepared for the possibility of my car being knocked from behind as I held my steering wheel tightly (just in case I need to do some last minute maneuvering). Fortunately the car behind didn't hit me but frantic honking continued behind me.

A minute or so, the bus managed to maneuver his vehicle past the damaged car in front of him and i followed suit. As I drove through, I saw what may be 10 damaged vehicles (3 turned turtle). I looked my side mirror and realized that no car followed behind me. I wondered if another pile up proceeded behind me.

Anyways, glad to be home.

6 comments:

(T) (H) (B) said...

God bless. (Which ever god you pray to)

Chee Hoe said...

I truly feel lucky.

My friend told me 30 cars were involved in the major accident.

I guess the cars behind me wasn't as lucky as me.

Nux V said...

moral of the story: dun go too fast on highways, v might not knw there r cars piling in front of us...and end up piled together.

Chee Hoe said...

I was driving less then 80km/h actually.

To me, the moral of the story is that no matter how careful one may be, we can't escape fate. I could have drove really slow but still got hit from the back by another car in such situations.

I was lucky.

@ddie said...

glad tht u r fine! :)

Chee Hoe said...

Thx Addie